Payroll Services

All employers must provide a payroll service including paying wages, tax and National Insurance (NIC).

This payroll service could be provided directly by the person employing the P.A. or by an agency. If the employer decides to provide the service themselves there are people to help.

The HM Revenue and Customs Department’s New Employer helpline 0845 607 0143 is available Monday to Friday 8,00am – 8.00pm and Saturday and Sunday 8.00am – 5pm. For people with a hearing or speech impairment use a textphone call 0845 602 1380.  They will give help and will send a New Employer’s Starter pack and a booklet called Paying someone for the First Time on request.

HM Revenue and Customs also have Business Support Teams who may be able to provide support and training and can set up home visits to discuss any issues.


Business Link has a very good guide on how to deduct income tax and NIC and also includes forms and processes.

RTI (Real Time Information) PAYE reporting is changing from April 2013. To find out more go to the RTI, PAYE & NCI page.

The local Council will be able to give advice. Find your local Council. Your council may also be able to give details of agencies who can provide Payroll services.

About the Author