It is the responsibility of the employer to make sure that the person they employ is legally entitled to work in the United Kingdom. If they employ somebody who is not legally entitled to work in the United Kingdom they are breaking the law.
To make sure that the chosen PA is legally entitled to work in the United Kingdom the employer must ask to see one of the following documents:
- A pay slip from previous employment in the United Kingdom
- A P60 or a P45
- A National Insurance Card
- A British or European passport
- A birth Certificate confirming that they were born in the UK or the Republic of Ireland.
- A letter from the Home Office confirming that they have a legal right to work in the United Kingdom
The employee will be asked for a photocopy of the document for the employer’s records.
It is against the law to refuse to employ someone because they are from another country.
If you have any doubts at all contact the Home Office on 0300 123 4699 or go the preventing illegal working web page